The Los Gatos Farmers Market provides area residents with fresh produce and opportunities to learn about local sustainability programs.
Los Gatos’ government has shown exemplary leadership through its comprehensive sustainability efforts. The Town’s Greenhouse Gas Reduction program and Resident Sustainability Outreach effort stand out in particular for their emphasis on a holistic approach that includes policy commitments, program development, resident education, and partnerships with local, regional, and national organizations.
Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Reduction
The Town formalized its commitment to take action to significantly reduce global warming pollution by signing the U.S. Conference of Mayors Climate Protection Agreement and joining the Bay Area Climate Change Collaborative.
- Los Gatos made a commitment to take actions that would meet or beat the GHG emission reduction target of 7% below 1990 levels by 2012.
- To date, the Town completed its Greenhouse Gas Emissions survey and identified the areas of greatest impact.
The Town became the first municipality in Santa Clara County to offset its green house gas emissions by enrolling in PG&E's ClimateSmart program. By participating in the program, the Town will be able to offset all of its identified carbon emissions from both electricity and gas usage at all municipal facilities.
Resident Sustainability Outreach
The Resident Sustainability Outreach effort includes a newsletter and marketing efforts designed to keep citizens informed of sustainability activities new and on-going.
- Through its Los Gatos Growing Greener effort, the Town produces a monthly publication highlighting green business commitments and sharing simple sustainability practices for home and work. The program is available to Town employees and residents through regular email notifications and presentations.
- Los Gatos has been re-certified as a Green Business by Santa Clara County through ABAG's Bay Area Green Business Program. The program recognizes local businesses that pledge and act to achieve several environmentally friendly objectives while maintaining their "Green Business Commitments."
- Reusable shopping bags are given away at Farmer’s Market and other events to raise awareness, change behaviors and encourage the community to join the Town's sustainability efforts.
- The Town actively places Spare the Air updates on its website encouraging residents to refrain from activities such as burning wood in fireplaces in an effort to prevent harmful smoke from entering the environment.