East Los Angeles College is LACCD’s first campus to install 1.2 megawatts of solar power. The $9 million solar installation, the largest in the District to date, comprises 5,952 photovoltaic panels mounted on seven carport structures, covering three acres. The system will generate approximately 1.67 million kilowatt-hours per year, enough to power 150 homes.
- Clean, renewable energy to meet 17% of the campus’ electricity demand.
- Guaranteed power and pricing. East L.A. only pays for power produced with no capital or operating costs.
- Carport structures provide shaded parking for 530 cars and improved lighting at night.
- Offsets production of 1,160 tons of carbon dioxide emissions annually - equivalent to removing 320 cars from the road.
- Private financing arrangement allows LACCD to use bond money to pay for infrastructure upgrades and new buildings.
- Serves as a model for students to study practical applications of green technologies.